Saturday, January 3, 2015

Coach to Kobe: Take more shots


Byron Scott is happy Kobe Bryant has been averaging close to a triple-double in the three games he has played since returning from a three-game rest last week, but the Los Angeles Lakers' coach is hoping his star player will shoot more moving forward.
Byron Scott is happy Kobe Bryant has been averaging close to a triple-double in the three games he has...

"It's been interesting," Scott said after practice Saturday. "He's really trying to keep his [shot attempt] numbers down to the 14, 15, 16 area, and I want him up in the 18, 19 area, but I can't argue with the results. He's getting everyone involved. He's rebounding the ball and had 8, 9, 11 assists in the last couple of games. I can't argue with the results and he's still being aggressive as far as looking for his shots but he's still being aggressive as far as looking for his teammates. I would like his shots to be up more up, but I can't argue with the way he's playing."

Before taking a week off to rest his body, Bryant was averaging over 22 shots per game and was 8 of 30 from the field in Sacramento. In his three games back, Bryant has cut his shot total in half and is now attempting 11.6 shots per game.

Bryant said the time away from the court was not only good for his body but helped him adjust his game as he watched his teammates play from the sideline.

"I had a chance to really evaluate my game and taking more straight line drops and more efficiency of movement," Bryant said. "I don't know if my body can take the workload. In a situation where teams just double me all over the floor, it's not like I'm passing up shots. I don't have them because they stack up and trap. Back in my younger days I could go through that stuff and have 30-40 points, now my body can't take it, so I'll dominate the game in a different way."

Bryant was at the Lakers training facility Saturday but did not practice with the team and was sent home by Scott not long after he arrived. He is expected to start Sunday's game against the Indiana Pacers.

"I had texted him earlier not to come in but by the time he got the text he was already on his way," Scott said. "Once he came here I told him to get something to eat, get back out and we'll see him tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment